Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lesson Plan #6 Feb.11th-15th

Lesson Plan #6

Let me start by saying... I love coffee cake better then chocolate. I just don't love chocolate. BLASPHEMY I KNOW! It just doesn’t do it for me, so what can I say? I do, however; love cinnamon and coffee cake crumbles. Can I get a what what? Is anyone else with me? Probably NOT!

I don’t always feel like making a giant coffee cake and eating it for three days straight until it’s gone. No, wait, that’s a lie. I do want to do that, but it’s really for the best if I can just make a single-serve coffee cake. Reduces temptation, right?

We adjusted the recipe all week long. Sara and many of the kids liked the applesauce recipe but I liked the second recipe that has sour cream and egg. I think it's because it didn't have an applesauce taste and it had more of a cake type texture. This week the kids got to use a kitchen gadget we used on our first day of cooking class, a pastry cutter. It was a lot of fun making the crumb topping for our coffee cake. The more the kids cut the butter into our ingredients, the more it started to resemble streusel topping aka crumb topping!!!

We demonstrated how to make an individual serving of coffee cake and then every student had the opportunity to make their very own coffee cake in a mug. They measured every ingredient on their own, mixed and poured. They were very busy. The kids got to use the microwave and were also introduced to a cake tester. We taught them the proper way to check if their baked goodie was done, using the cake tester. A cake tester is a kitchen tool which is designed specifically for use in baking. It is meant to be used to test the doneness of cakes, a crucial step in the baking process which can make or break a cake success. If the cake tester comes out clean, the cake is done and it should be pulled out to cool. If crumbs are left behind on the cake tester, the cake is not quite finished, and it should be allowed to bake a little longer. There are some exceptions to this rule; banana bread, for example, tastes best when there is still some residue on the cake tester. Hope the kids are ready to surprise you at home with breakfast in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment